Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The House in the Night


My first interaction with The House in the Night was using it for a comparison paper, where I looked only at the illustrations. I realize now how much I missed from my first encounter with the text. The story is a little tale within a tale, having the main character taking flight on a beautiful bird, which is the main character in their book. I say "their" because you really can't tell if the person in the story is a little girl, or a little boy, which I find intriguing and wonderful. This is a whimsical story, with very cool illustrations, being primarily colored in black and white, with bright flashes of yellow for things that should draw focus, that end up feeling so alive.

I adore these types of stories that have the sentiment of lulling you into a sleep.

I would recommend this book for parents looking for something to read to their infant, or for a child just learning to read.

5 out of 5.

Swanson, Susan.(2008). The House in the Night. New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin Company.

Genre- Picture Book

No comments:

Post a Comment